Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup

I made this soup for Bekah when she was sick, and both of our families love it! Here's the recipe, as requested! Also, it freezes well, so you can make a lot and freeze leftovers.

2 tsp. butter
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small potato, diced
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (see below)
4 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
2 tsp. chicken bouillon
4 ounces egg noodles
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
parsley

Melt the butter in a large pot.  Saute the celery, carrot and onion for 2 minutes. Add potato, thyme, poultry seasoning, chicken broth and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Add the noodles and chicken and cook on low for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

Ok, so for my notes: I don't have poultry seasoning, and so add my own spices as an alternative. The spices are what makes it so good. I found a recipe for poultry seasoning, and never actually make it but just add some of each of the spices that are included to taste. I also sometimes have added a little more bouillon or broth depending on how the batch is looking and tasting as well. Here is the recipe I sort of follow to replace the poultry seasoning, which makes the soup so tasty:

Poultry seasoning:
2 tsp. ground sage
1 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. ground marjoram
3/4 tsp. ground rosemary (I LOVE the rosemary!)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. finely ground black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment