Saturday, June 20, 2015

Pork Carnitas

I am a sucker for Pork Carnitas!  I got this recipe off of food network.  I love it, but I think next time I may leave in some of the jalapeno seeds.  I think it could have benefited from a little spice, but Jake and I like things spicy!

Ingredients

2 lb boneless pork shoulder (or 2.5 pounds bone-in)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried cumin
1 Tb olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
1 orange, cut in half
3 Tb vegetable oil

Directions

Rinse and dry the pork shoulder.  Salt and pepper liberally.  Mix the oregano and the cumin with the olive oil and rub all over the pork.  Place the pork in a slow cooker and top with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno.  Squeeze over the juice of the orange and add the two halves.  Cover and cook in slow cooker on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 hours.

Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork.  In a large saute pan, heat the vegetable oil over high heat.  Press the carnitas into the oil and fry until crusty on one side.  Gather some of the juices from the slow cooker and drizzle over the pork.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment