Friday, July 9, 2010

Magnolia's Buttercream Frosting

(Magnolia is a well-known bakery in NYC.)

I feel like I've finally found what I've been looking for in a buttercream frosting with this recipe. So delicious. Enjoy.



15 min | 15 min prep

For 24 cupcakes or Two-layer 9-in cake
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 6-8 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For Three-Layer 9-in Cake
• 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
• 8-10 cups confectioners' sugar
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla.
3. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency.
5. Note: You may not need to add all of the sugar.

You can store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days. I still like to refrigerate mine to keep the butter cool and stiff.

3 comments:

  1. CUTE PIC! Love that girl! I'll be sure to try this frosting for my next cake or sugar cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we don't have to worry about copyright issues with THAT pic! And is this the frosting you end up using with the orange crunch cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! This is the frosting I use for the orange crunch cake. I also put sliced strawberries between the layers and whole strawberries around the outside for extra special occasions.

    ReplyDelete