Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Skewered Tomato Chicken

This recipe is fast, easy, healthy, and one of Danny's all time favorites! I like it also, although perhaps am not quite as obsessed as Danny. :) It is from a healthy recipes book I think a few of you have as well.

Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 lb. 2 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp clear honey
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
9 oz cherry tomatoes
freshly cooked couscous or rice, to serve
fresh rosemary sprigs to garnish (if desired)
  1. Preheat the broiler to medium. Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken into 1-inch chunks and place in bowl.
  2. Mix the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, honey, and chopped rosemary together in a separate bowl. Add the chicken, stirring to coat evenly.
  3. Thread the chicken pieces and cherry tomatoes alternately onto 8 presoaked wooden skewers, then spoon over the remaining glaze.
  4. Cook the skewers under the hot broiler for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately on a bed of couscous or rice, garnished with rosemary sprigs.

Also, have any of you decided that you really dislike having to open a can of tomato paste for just a few tablespoons in a recipe, and then you don't end up using the rest in time? I definitely did! BUT I discovered a trick I quite like! After you open a can of tomato paste and don't finish it for a recipe, put the remaining paste in an ice cube tray, with 1 tbsp. in each compartment. Freeze them, and whoalah! You have pre-prepared 1 tbsp. amounts of tomato paste to be used in future recipes as needed!

3 comments:

  1. I like this recipe too, but don't like skewering so I just throw is on a baking sheet and broil. I am always stumped with what to serve it with. Any vegetable side suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... We usually just do it with a salad! I haven't quite gotten to the point yet where I put lots of thought into my veggie sides, as it is just Danny and me. No matter what we end up eating, it usually ends up being with a salad, steamed brocolli, summer squash/zucchini, corn, or asparagus. So it will be fun to try some of all of your sides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this for dinner tonight. Delish! Such a yummy, fresh meal. Thanks Fozz

    ReplyDelete