Saturday, July 10, 2010

Butternut Squash Risotto


This is our favorite risotto. I've always used turmeric in place of saffron and bacon instead of pancetta, just because of the price. Someday I'll make it the real way but the substitutes are delicious!

Ingredients
1 butternut squash, about 2 lbs
2 Tb olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 C chicken stock
3 Tb unsalted butter
2 oz pancetta, diced
1/2 C minced shallots
1 1/2 C arborio rice (10 oz)
1/2 C dry white wine
1 tsp saffron threads
1 C freshly grated parmesan cheese

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Clean out the seeds. Put a little water in the bottom of a lasagna dish and place squash halves, cut side down in the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 40 minutes or until squash is soft and can be scooped out.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low heat to simmer.

In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the pancetta and shallots on medium-low heat for ten minutes, until the shallots are translucent but not brown. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice pluss the saffron, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total (or more). Remove from heat.

Once the squash is finished, scoop it from the peel and puree it till smooth. Add the squash puree and parmesan to the risotto and mix well.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm Shell, this looks amazing. What do you serve with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bek, I had it originally at a fancy restaurant with maple glazed duck. It was quite a nice combo! :) It goes well with pork tenderloin or I have a recipe for maple pork chops. We've had it with Mom's baked chicken or marinated steak. It is a more complicated side, so I'd recommend trying it with a pre-marinated pork tenderloin from the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. I made this for dinner last night. I am in love. I have never cooked with butternut squash before. It was so delicious. After I roasted it, I could just eat it plain. I felt pretty awesome because I have never roasted/pureed butternut squash or made risotto before, so I kind of felt like a supercook. You know when you make something pretty different than what you usually do.

    I want to make this at the beginning of every autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this tonight, and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete